We recognize that the number of diverse creators present in the tabletop industry is very low. In addition to our pledge to hire more diverse talent, we wanted to take the extra step and create opportunities for those creators to start their publishing journey. By leveraging our experience, reach and publishing resources we are creating a grant that will fund the development, art, and editing of a product.
How will it work?
Like all grants, there will be three phases, open application, review & award, award management.
- Open Application: During this period you will be able to submit an application. This will include a questionnaire asking for your name, preferred pronouns, social media accounts, your publishing history, why you want to publish, and how this grant will help you bring your project to life.
- Applications will be open from July 1st to July 31st.
- Review & Award: Once we’ve closed the open application period our review panel will sort through the applications and select the one they think will best benefit the community and from the funds provided.
- Application Review will occur from August 1 to August 16th.
- Award Management: Once a submission has been selected, we will notify the winner and thank everyone for their submissions. We will send funds to the winner and work with them to help bring their product to life.
- Award will be announced on August 18th.
What are the qualifications to apply?
- Member of an underrepresented community.
When can we apply?
We will be accepting applications July 1st – 31st
We’ve partnered up with esteemed members of the community to ensure we have a fair selection committee.
Gabe Hicks you may recognize from pictures as a glorious wizard named Gilmore, a coffee shop dad named Mat, or even the ruler King Harrow. Outside of cosplay though he spends most of his time designing games. Gabe has been working as a freelance writer and designer in the tabletop industry for over two years. Currently he runs a group named Mythic Grove which focuses on voice acting, making games, and supplements for fifth edition of Dungeons and Dragons.
Joshua Mendenhall, otherwise known as HTTPaladin, is best known for his role as Co-Director and Lead Designer for The Islands of Sina Una, a campaign setting made for the fifth edition of Dungeons & Dragons based on precolonial Philippine culture and mythology. Joshua has done graphic design for Swordsfall, Beadle & Grimm’s, and various creators on DMs Guild. He currently works full time in the TTRPG industry as a designer and writer, and is the Brand Ambassador for Dungeon Fog.
The winner will receive a $300 direct cash prize. MWG will provide mentorship and guidance to help you produce your winning project, as well as a $1,500 budget administered by MWG.
When the project is completed, it will be added to MWG storefront as part of the Diverse Games Initiative. The winner will receive 70% of the sales royalties of this product, while the remaining 30% will be distributed to the Diverse Games Fund (20%) and MWG (10%) for administrative costs.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting an application, you understand that you are providing us an idea, and thusly we cannot guarantee that we might currently or in the future work on a project of a similar nature (we have no intention of stealing ideas, this is intended to protect us from people claiming we stole their ideas).
If you are selected as the winner, we will work directly with you to ensure that you have everything you need to complete the project, providing mentorship, contacts, resources, and funds as necessary. There is no time frame for the awarded project, and we will publish the project with the winner when it is ready, no need to rush.
The final product created will be owned by you, it’s art assets being a shared partnership between you and Metal Weave Games. As part of this project, you grant MWG to the sole publisher, and distributor of the product. When the product is completed, it will be listed alongside other MWG products, as well as the Diverse Games Initiative, with a 70% royalty to the winner, 20% will go the Diverse Games Fund, and 10% to MWG.
How can I contribute?
You can donate directly to the fund via Paypal sending to the following email address email@example.com.
If you’re using DTRPG or DMsGuild, you can add firstname.lastname@example.org as a royalty receiver.
Donations to this program is not considered a tax-deductible donation.